In my quest to find more recipes with no or limited carbs, I stumbled upon this recipe at cookinglight.com. Ground turkey is such a nice alternative to meat and is so healing and gentle on the wallet, couldn’t help but give it a try. It was delicious, fast and super easy! BF was a huge fan and it’s definitely something I’m going to make again. The recipe is below and then the steps I took.
Turkey Burgers with Special Sauce
Adapted from Cooking Light
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped peeled fresh ginger
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 pound ground turkey breast
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup Special Sauce
- 4 (1 1/2-ounce) whole wheat hamburger buns
- sliced tomato
- 4 curly leaf lettuce leaves
- 3/4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon fresh orange juice
- 1 teaspoon low-sodium soy sauce
- a few sprinkles of ground ginger
As you may remember, I don’t have a bbq, so I spray my big, beautiful skillet with cooking spray and then turned the heat on super high. I put the patties onto the hot skillet, and then after a few seconds, turned down the heat to low. I let each side cook for a few minutes uncovered, then cooked both sides for a few more minutes covered.
While the burgers were cooking, I mixed together the sauce ingredients. Although the sauce is delicious, there was way too much of it for just the burgers. If you are planning on doubling the meat or you have something else you can serve the sauce with, then the recipe was fine. If not, I’d probably halve the recipe in the future.