I am continuing to pursue healthier eating options- sometimes successfully, sometimes not (think Cappuccino Cupcakes). This recipe was a huge success. It’s incredibly easy, healthier and actually tastes amazing, much to my surprise.
Mediterranean Barley with Chickpeas and Arugula
from Cooking Light
- 1 cup uncooked pearl barley
- 1 cup packed arugula leaves
- 1 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped sun-dried tomatoes, packed without oil
- 1 (15 1/2-ounce) can no-salt-added chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
First, I added 1 cup uncooked barley and 3 cups water to a pot. I boiled the barley for about 45 minutes, then put the barley in a bowl. While the barley was cooking, I chopped the red pepper and sun-dried tomatoes and rinsed the chickpeas. Once the barley was done, I added the arugula, sun-dried tomatoes, chickpeas and red pepper.
Then, in a separate bowl, I whisked together the olive oil, lemon juice, salt and a few sprinkles of crushed red pepper. I then sprinkled the sauce over the salad mix and tossed everything together. Then I was done. How easy is that?